Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Anywhere but here...


For the past few days I have been yearning to be somewhere warm and tropical, where the air is thick and heavy and scented with the intoxicating perfume of beautiful frangipanis. Where you subsist on fresh tropical fruit, delicious satays, and cool hibiscus iced-teas. Where the locals speak an intricate and beautiful language, and gamlan music fills the air. Where the markets bustle with tourists trying to find the best bargain, and locals gather their daily fresh produce.

A couple of things have triggered this desperation for warmth in me. Firstly, I have cold which reminds me of the horrible cold that I had for half of our wonderful family holiday to Bali last year. We have had an absolutely bitter winter which has been somewhat depressing and tiring, but the past few days have started off nice and sunny, and the filtered morning light is reminiscent of a cool summers day. I have spent my time in my bedroom sitting on my little fan heater trying to warm my cold bones and write my thesis, somewhat simulating that tropical heat that I experienced last year.

I also have friends holidaying in various parts of Asia at the moment and tales of their travels fill me with envy, but also reignite my thirst for travel and adventure. My sister and I are planning on embarking on a world-wide odyssey around this time next year once I have finished my Master's course. It seems like such a long time away! For the past couple of years I have been rather lucky to have holidayed in New Zealand twice, Bali once and Melbourne a handful of times, and so to have to wait a year for my next big holiday is slightly painful as I have almost become accustomed to travelling every six months! The one thing I do know is that it will be worth the wait and who knows, we may find ourselves finishing up our trip back on the beach at Jimbaran Bay doing this:


If you could be anywhere but your current destination, where would you find yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment